The Childcare Team
The Childcare Act 2006 means that the local authority now has a duty to ensure sufficient childcare to meet the needs of working parents. In order to ensure that Bridgend can fulfil this requirement the Children and Young People's Partnership have decided that a team dedicated to the development and support of childcare provision in the Borough should be created to ensure better working together between all providers of childcare.
The Team Structure
There are five members of the team and two team managers. Two of the team members have been recruited under contract from national organisations which already work in the childcare field and they will retain their links with their parent organisation. The team manager and other members of the team are employed by the Local Authority.
The team members are:-
- Kathryn King/Bethan Davies - Childcare team managers
- Cherril Watts - Childminding Development Officer will continue to recruit and support childminders
- Amy Castle will have the responsibility for playgroups, mother and toddler groups and day nurseries. She will develop links with Wales PPA and we hope that you will continue to be a part of that organisation.
- Kate Parry - Childcare Development Officer / Healthy and Sustainable Pre-school Practitioner
- Naomi Evans - from Clybiau Plant Cymru Kids’ Clubs will have responsibility for out of school settings including holiday clubs
- Lou Stevens-Jones - from Mudiad Meithrin who will continue to work for MM two & half days a week and will have responsibility for Welsh medium provision and the promotion of Welsh in all settings
Location of the team
The team is based on the 3rd Floor, Sunnyside, Bridgend, telephone 01656 642649.
The team will be responsible for:-
- Undertaking the annual childcare sufficiency audit required by the Welsh Assembly Government
- Developing new provision where it is needed and identifying the most appropriate provision for the area.
- Supporting existing provision
- Reporting on the training requirements of providers
- Developing and ensuring delivery of a comprehensive joint training programme
- Promoting high quality childcare through the Quality Assurance schemes
- Managing the grants payable to settings (these are under review)
- Working closely with the Family Information Service to ensure that information for parents is accurate and up to date
- Organising joint information events for childcare providers
- Developing provision for children who have particular needs and benefit from attending childcare provision
The team will be developing a training programme which will provide joint training for settings wherever possible. This will ensure that standards are maintained across all settings and also ensure better use of scarce financial resources. The team is the first of its kind in Wales and the arrangements will be subject to review which will include feedback from settings
The team is committed to supporting all childcare providers and ensuring that the childcare available to parents, children and young people in Bridgend is of the highest quality.
All enquiries relating to childcare should now be directed through the Bridgend Childcare team.